Wednesday, July 18, 2012

first day off and ANTS....

May 20
DAY OFF!
We all slept in! Jeremy went on an excursion with one of the local volunteers (I AM SO JEALOUS), but it seemed like guy time so I didn’t invite myself, even though I would have liked to.  The rest of the volunteers decided to snorkel on the beach down from our place.  It was LOVELY!  I followed around a colorful bluehead for a little while and saw many other interesting fish not far from the beach.  Sue and Alex went way far out and ended up swimming with turtles and other more unique fish…  next time I will be a little more adventurous and go further out :)
While walking along the beach we saw a nest and decided to grab a kit and clipboard and write it up.  Aren’t we dedicated?!  Sue and I went back and had trouble locating the nest UNDER A BUSH (bad sign #1).  I found ONE egg by itself…UNUSUAL because they lay 100-200 at a time.  So we kept expanding my hole….meanwhile, nearby black and red ants that were crawling on us as we continued digging under the bush (bad sign #2).  Finally we gave up and called someone more experienced, they said to put sand below and above the egg and bring it back until we figure out whether to put it with another nest or go back and try again.  I all but leapt back into the water after that news, as I had sand ALL OVER me and a few ants too.  On the way back I could feel bites on my face….

We made fish curry and shared a bottle of wine to cap off our night. YUM.  Thank you SUE!

In the evening my face began to feel hot (bad sign #3) and my lips a little tingly.  I put cortizone on the bites and went to bed EXCITED TO SWIM with the GREEN TURTLES tomorrow!!!


May 21, 2012
Woke up at 3am to find my face swollen around the bites, put more cortizone on.  Woke up after 6am, to find my face even MORE swollen.  Began googling possible reasons and got a little scared, so I decided to wake the guys up and grab the turtle hotline so I could ask Darren what to do.  He said to go to the doctor and scared me saying that maybe a centipede crawled over my face at night and I should look for 2 bite marks.  NOT TRUE… I told him about the ants…However, I am now going to be checking the bedrooms for centipedes nightly… :)

I had to miss the boat today and instead get dropped off at the doctor - which isn’t that far from our house.  She pointed out the rashes and my hypersensitivity to bug bites and then gave me a prescription.  Hopefully, all will be gone in the next few days… BOOO, I hope I don’t have to miss out again tomorrow!  I will go even with a swollen face!!  PS – I REFUSE to send a photo, but if you are curious picture Will Smith in Hitch and then imagine the left side of my face to look like that…

Hopefully next update will be nicer!

No comments:

Post a Comment