May 23, 2012
Or maybe 23 May 2012 as it would be written here….funny the little quirks
that make places different…
I am starting to think in English English – in my head I am constantly
thinking “those old turtle tracks are rubbish…you lot are going to follow us….let’s
make a proper meal tonight…Carla is going to pop around
later…right…lovely…gorgeous….brilliant…lovely…” and a bunch of other words and
phrases that sound novel in an English accent….
I am trying to sample local foods as much as possible although we cook at
the house a lot. Let’s see I tried
flying fish (yum), dolphin fish (yum – not to be confused with bottlenose…yes,
I asked…), fish cakes from the ladies outside the grocery store (YUM, will have
more next trip!), drank coconut water from the guys on the side of the highway
(eh…could have lived without that one….maybe next time we will add something
else local – RUM), tamarind balls (ok), Banks beer (yum), rum drinks (yum yum),
Delish (YUM – a hot sauce/condiment/etc), West Indian hot sauce (YUM, very hot
and spicy), and rotis ( yes, I thought that was an Indian food, but apparently
it is also very Caribbean). So excited
to continue sampling the local goods… still need to go to a proper rum shop!
I have been to almost every beach on the west, south and and a few on the east coast
now!!!! The north coast isn’t easily accessed so we don’t really go
there. The west and south are full of
hotels and residences. The east is open
and parts are undeveloped but loaded up with garbage washed up on the shore. I am definitely starting to have
favorites! The west coast is really
beautiful by boat with all the beautiful trees (casurinas, almond,
flambouyants, palms, etc) along the beaches blocking out some of the hotels
(both in use and some abandoned).
The walk to our beach and watching the sunset...
In the "there is always
something" news: I went for a run this morning (yes mom in my running
shoes, not barefoot or in sandals) and ran over glass that went through the
side of shoe and cut my foot. I had to walk about a mile to get back to the
house at which point the whole front half of my shoe had been soaked in
blood... it was a very small puncture but it must have hit a vein or
something... its a little sore and VERY colorful, but otherwise no big deal...



No comments:
Post a Comment