Wednesday, July 18, 2012

east coast leatherback walk

May 19, 2012 YAY sleeping in!

Today we went grocery shopping.  Just outside the grocery store a couple of ladies set up a food stand.  So naturally, I made a beeline over to see what was cooking.  She was frying “fish cakes”.  I asked for 2, one for me and one for Tiffany (who I will be helping branch out a little bit).  However, the local next to me immediately turned around and was like “that is NOT enough!  As soon as they hit your mouth you will want more!”  So I doubled our order!  She was right, they were YUMMY!  Kind of bread-y/fishy/full of spices all at once.  The boys were so jealous of our find, they ordered some too.

THE EAST COAST!
We drove across the country in about 40 minutes!  I didn’t know what to expect of the center of the island, but I can now tell you it is hill/mountain-y and very lush.  We didn’t see any, but you have a decent chance of seeing green monkeys.  The roads are tiny and a little bumpy. Our caravan of 4 cars (volunteers, friends of volunteers) gathered at the top of the access to the beach and piled in Darren’s turbo truck (short bed truck).  About 10 of us squished in the back!  Tight enough to not worry about falling out when off-roading through the large bumps and holes :)

We walked the longer south portion (3 miles) of beach and recorded many recent (and some within the week) leatherback activities!!  We also excavated a nest that hatched probably last night.  Sadly, it was a very unsuccessful nest, most eggs did not hatch.  Leatherbacks are so huge you can lay down in their body pits.  By the time we made it back to the starting point to meet the McGill students at the Bellairs Research Center the sun had just set.  I also lost a sandal :(

The east coast was beautiful and largely undisturbed.  In the backdrop of the beach are the lush, jungle-y hills.  However, it was sad to see soooooo much trash and pollution all over the beach!  And since I lost a flip flop (fell out of the kit I left it in and someone else was carrying), I felt terrible about adding to all the trash already on the beach.

Anyway, we walked the north stretch of the east coast, where we should have seen even more activity.  We saw some older nests.  We sat down at the end of the beach for about 45 minutes to give the turtles some time… but still we did not see any leatherbacks!  So we decided we wanted to go back down the longer beach a little to see if that said had any activity now that the sun had set.  We hadn’t walked far before we came across hatchlings!!! Sadly, many were disoriented and we used our red lights to follow their tiny tracks the best we could.  I found one!   You have to hold it from the back so that its strong flippers won’t push your hand off!  In total we found about 12.  We could not however find the nest.  So we released them on the beach and watched them swim away.

Even though we all really wanted to see an adult leatherback we called it a night and went back up to the cars. 

RING RING (imagine the nokia sound)

On the car on the way back, Sandy Lane (Tiger Woods wedding hotel) called to say a turtle was nesting on the beach in front of their hotels.  This happens to be the ONLY call that can’t wait because they use machines to rake their beach every night and that would compress the nest.  So instead of heading to bed we went to Sandy Lane to RELOCATE the nest to safer area. 

Probably the nicest hotel I have ever walked through… can see why it is SO expensive.  Anyway, woohoo, I located the nest!  We removed the eggs and started looking for a suitable place to relocate them.  Found a darker spot down the beach, lights can be disorienting for hatchlings and dug out a new nesting chamber (think like a narrow cylinder, with a larger bowl at the bottom).  We made it home in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment